1. Who we are
The Pravasi Association, is an international, non-partisan association of expatriate Indians. It researches issues that significantly affect the lives of overseas Indians and keeps its members informed on those issues.
2. How Pravasi Association collects member information
Pravasi Association gathers necessary information in order to fulfill its mission of keeping its members informed of issues important to Indians abroad and to provide them access to services, resources and events that Pravasi Association provides.
Pravasi Association collects information directly in the following ways:
- When members and non-members contact Pravasi Association for information
- Queries about Pravasi Association activities
- Social Media Channels
- Event registration
- Member registration and renewals
- Volunteer applications
Information is also gathered when members and people interested in Pravasi Association visit our website at www.PravasiAssociation.com or our social media pages. Using analytical tools we collect general information about visitors which might include which pages you visit most often and which services, events or information are most interesting to you. We may also track which pages you visit when you click on links in emails sent by us. We also use “cookies” to help our site run effectively. There are more details below in the section ‘Cookies.’
We use this information to personalize the way our website is presented when you visit, to make improvements in its operation, and to ensure we provide the best service and experience for our members and visitors to our website. Wherever possible we use anonymous information which does not identify individual visitors to our website.
3. Information Pravasi Association collects
The information Pravasi Association collects on members include name, date of birth, email address, postal address, telephone and mobile numbers, and the details of your residential address back in India. In addition members and non-members may provide additional information when communicating with Pravasi Association.
This information is used for tasks such as:
- Process new membership and renewals or payments for Pravasi Association events
- Update members about relevant issues related to Pravasi Association and its activities
- Ask members to contact their elected representatives
- Send Pravasi Association electronic publications such as the “Pravasi Association News and Views” and the Pravasi Association newsletter
- Ask members to participate in surveys
4. Legal basis for using member information
Pravasi Association will only use your personal information to fulfill its mission to provide members with the information and services Pravasi Association offers under the GDPR’s “legitimate interest” lawful basis for using personal data.
Whenever Pravasi Association uses member information under the GDPR’s “legitimate interest,” Pravasi Association will ensure that members’ rights are taken into account and will not use that information if members’ interests and rights override the use Pravasi Association wishes to make of that data.
When you first join Pravasi Association, we will also ask for your consent to collect and use specific personal data in order to fulfill our mission.
5. Pravasi Association communication
Pravasi Association will only communicate with members who have consented to receive Pravasi Association communications and with non-members when it believes that they will be interested in Pravasi Association activities.
Members and non-members can request that Pravasi Association cease communications by sending an email to VPcommunications@Pravasi Association.com.
6. Sharing Member Information
Member data will primarily be used by Pravasi Association staff and Pravasi Association volunteers and only in the context of fulfilling Pravasi Association’s mission or an activity, event, volunteer or fundraising effort.
Pravasi Association will never sell or share your personal information with marketing organizations. Nor will Pravasi Association share data with any other organization unless Pravasi Association has a legal obligation to do so.
7. Keeping Member information safe
Pravasi Association has undertaken physical, technical and organizational procedures and policies to the protect the personal information that Pravasi Association collects.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information using the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information sent to us this way, we cannot guarantee the security of data while it is being transmitted to us.
Our website may contain links to other sites. While we try to link only to sites that share our high standards and respect for privacy, we are not responsible for the content or the privacy practices employed by other sites. Please be aware that advertisers or websites that have links on our site may collect personally identifiable information about you. This privacy statement does not cover the information practices of those websites or advertisers.
We do not collect or hold any credit or debit card information when you make a payment to us. All financial transactions passed to PayPal, our payment gateway, where they are processed securely according to the Payment Card Industry Security Standards. The only information we receive is a confirmation that the transaction has been successfully processed.
8. Data retention
Pravasi Association will only keep member data as long as is reasonable and necessary for Pravasi Association’s activities and mission.
Under GDPR individuals have the following rights concerning their personal data. The right to:
- Receive a copy of the personal information Pravasi Association has retained
- Object to Pravasi Association’s “legitimate interest” use of that data
- Ask for a correction of relevant data
- Withdraw their consent for the use of their data by Pravasi Association
- Request Pravasi Association to delete their data
To exercise these rights, send a written request to the Pravasi Association VP for Communications at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A “cookie” is a small text file which is downloaded when you visit a website onto your device (such as computer, mobile phone or tablet). It is stored in the web browser application which you have used to access this website. The website and browser, using this cookie for identification, can then work together to provide you a better, personalized experience and gather information about how you use the website.
- “Strictly necessary” cookies are essential for you to move around our website and to use its essential features, such as accessing your member account.
- “Performance cookies” collect anonymous information about how you use our site, such as which pages are visited most.
- “Functionality cookies” collect anonymous information that remember choices you make to improve your own experience, such as your text size or location. They may also be used to provide services you have asked for such as watching a video or commenting on a blog.
- “Analytics cookies” are used to track the use and performance of our website and services
No Cookies, Please
However be warned that if you choose to refuse all cookies, our website may not function for you as we would like it to.